The Miami injury attorneys at Hickey Law Firm, P.A. have provided the following resources to educate the public and provide information to personal injury victims. To find out if you have a case, contact our Miami and Fort Lauderdale injury attorneys today by calling 305-371-8000 for a free consultation.
Articles Written by Miami and Fort Lauderdale Injury Attorney John H. (Jack) Hickey
Personal injury and maritime lawyer John H. (Jack) Hickey has written various articles and speeches for publication. The following articles appeared in “The Bulletin,” the official publication of the Dade County Bar Association:
- Kennedy And Civil Rights; Yesterday And Today; November 2003
- The Varela Project and The Rule of Law; The Seventh Word in Cuban History; October 2003
- Atticus Finch Lives; August 2003
- Atticus Finch, Part II; October 2003
- Observations from Outside the Storm: The Ten Commandments, the Constitution, and Organic Foods; September 2003
Here are Some Additional Articles Written by Cruise Ship Injury and Maritime Lawyer John H. (Jack) Hickey
- “Evolving Standards of Jones Act Negligence“; paper prepared for lecture to be given at Association of Trial Lawyers of America Annual Convention at Atlanta, Georgia (July 2002)
- “Slip and Falls: Alternative Theories of Liability,” published April 2001 in “Trial Magazine,” the magazine of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA) and presented at the Annual Convention of ATLA, July 2001
- “In Defense of the Stevedore,” P & I International (Winter 1996-1997)
- “Credit Agreements Required in Writing; the New Statute of Frauds in Florida,” The Florida Bar Journal (June 1990)
- Cruise Ship Accidents: What Are the Rights of the Passenger? Download the article here.
Speeches Written by Personal Injury and Maritime Lawyer John H. (Jack) Hickey
Below is a list of various speeches written by personal injury and maritime lawyer John H. (Jack) Hickey.
- Remarks by John H. (Jack) Hickey at swearing in of attorneys at Third District Court of Appeal, 10/7/03
- “Masters of the Courtroom” presenter, sponsored by the Dade County Trial Lawyers Association in conjunction with the University of Miami School of Law (October 2003)
- Lecturer: “Alternative Theories of Liability in Slip and Fall Cases” at the Association of Trial Lawyers of America Annual Convention, Montreal, Canada (August 2001)
- Lecturer: “Cruising in the 90s; Defense of Cruise Lines, Crew and Passenger Claims” The Florida Bar (1994; and preparation of paper in connection therewith)
- Lecturer: “Defending Flood Insurance Claims” at the National Flood Insurance Conferences at the invitation of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (Columbus, Ohio, 1991; Scottsdale, Arizona, 1992; Orlando, Florida, 1993)
- Lecturer: “Securities Litigation” Florida Institute of CPAs (1990)
- Lecturer: “Securities Litigation” American Institute of CPAs in Blacksburg, Virginia (1990)
- Lecturer: “Securities Litigation” International Association of Financial Planners (1989)
- Lecturer: “The Mechanics of Court” at The Florida Bar Bridge the Gap Seminars (1983, 1984, and 1985)
- Author: “Tour Operator Liability” American Bar Association (2014)
- Speaker: Panel for the Torts and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association in Boca Raton, Florida (2014)
- Author: “Cruise Ship Accidents: What are the rights of the passenger” The New York Bar Association’s Senior Lawyer Magazine (2014)
- Author: “Use of Corporate Representative Depositions in Maritime Cases” to be presented at the American Association for Justice annual Convention in Baltimore, Maryland (2014)
- Author and Presenter: “Why the Corporate Representative May be the Most Neglected Key Witness…and how they can Make your Commercial Motor Vehicle Case” presented at the American Association for Justice annual convention in Baltimore, Maryland (July 2014)
- Author and Presenter: “Violent Crime on Cruise Ships” a paper for The National Crime Victims Bar Association Conference in Miami, FL (September 17, 2014)
Helpful Links and Reference Material You Can Use
Need help finding something? Here is a list of useful links to everything from law to news and media.
Cruise Line Information:
Cruise Ship Consumer Fact Sheet
Cruise Ship Forum
- About.com’s “Expert Guide to Cruises” – Summary of cruise related links, news, and other information for the cruising public.
- “Maritime Matters” – Ocean Liner History and Cruise Ship News - Informative site featuring ocean liner history, historic vessels, and photographs of passenger vessels.
General Maritime Information
- Admiralty and Maritime Law Guide – Excellent site containing statutes, case law, law guides, articles and publications and other links to maritime related information.
Injuries, Accidents, and Physical and Sexual Assaults on Cruise Passengers:
Medical Issues on Cruise Ships:
- “The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Cruise Ship Medicine”
- Legionnaires Disease on Cruise Ships
- Medically Speaking – What the Cruise Passenger Should Know
National Transportation Safety Board Publications
- NTSB Marine Accident Reports – NTSB reports regarding collisions, sinkings, groundings, and fires involving passenger ships, freighters, tankers, and other vessels from 1971 to 1997.
- NTSB Marine Studies – NTSB studies regarding watercraft safety, accidents involving foreign passenger ships operating from US ports, post-accident testing for alcohol and drugs, and other issues from 1963 to 1999.
- American Association of Port Authorities
- Port Canaveral
- Port Yellow Pages
- Listing of International Ports
- Seaports of the Americas – the AAPA Directory
Vessel Safety, Illegal Dumping, & Unsanitary Conditions
- United States Coast Guard – Home page of USCG; includes marine safety and environmental protection, boating safety, and licensing.
If you want to find out more about these articles or you want to schedule a free consultation with Miami injury attorney Jack Hickey and his team, contact the Hickey Law Firm in Miami, Florida, at 305-371-8000today.