When a health care professional fails to properly and promptly diagnose your medical condition and your health suffers because you did not get the timely treatment you needed, their negligence can be considered a form of medical malpractice.
If you believe your health has been harmed or put at risk due to a failure to diagnose, you may be entitled to compensation. To schedule a free case evaluation with an experienced Miami medical malpractice lawyer, contact the Hickey Law Firm at 305-371-8000 today.
Am I a Victim of a Failure to Diagnose?
Your doctor has a responsibility to determine the cause of your medical condition based on the symptoms you present. This means that even if your doctor cannot immediately provide a diagnosis, he or she should still:
- Know how to identify high-risk illnesses and medical conditions you may be prone to developing based on your family history, lifestyle habits, etc.
- Educate you on these illnesses enough to help you identify associated symptoms and indicators
- Carefully monitor your health to watch for indications of increased risk factors
When your doctor fails to take these measures and therefor fails to diagnose your condition or gives you a late or inaccurate diagnosis, your health and your life can be unjustly compromised.
Common Medical Malpractice Cases for Failure to Diagnose
A doctor’s failure to diagnose can occur with nearly any medical condition, but some of the most prevalent undiagnosed or misdiagnosed cases we see include:
- Heart disease – If a doctor fails to recognize the risk factors for heart disease, serious and even fatal heart attacks can occur.
- Cancer – When screenings and tests are not performed, performed incorrectly or misread, cancer can go undetected until it is too late.
- Meningitis – Because meningitis symptoms are similar to flu symptoms, it is often misdiagnosed and can spread and infect others.
As with any misdiagnosed or undiagnosed condition, your health can be put at serious risk if you don’t get the treatment you need in a timely manner.
If you believe your health has suffered due to your doctor’s failure to diagnose, our experienced medical malpractice lawyers can help. Contact the Hickey Law Firm at 305-371-8000 to schedule a free consultation today. Our attorneys serve clients in Miami and throughout Florida.