SURFSIDE, FL - Officials announced on Friday that the confirmed death toll in the Champlain Towers South collapse had risen to 78, according to WPLG.
Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said 14 more bodies had been recovered overnight, while 62 people still remained unaccounted for.
"This is a staggering and heart breaking number that affects all of us very deeply," she said.
It was the second day since the efforts at the condominium site turned to search and recovery, after authorities conceded there was no more chance of finding any survivors in the rubble.
Families of the victims paid a visit to the site on Thursday afternoon and joined with first responders in observing a moment of silence. Authorities assured the relatives that the recovery would continue with urgency until all of the remaining victims had been located.
Meanwhile, a Miami-Dade County grand jury was preparing to begin an investigation into the cause of the collapse, State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said Wednesday. She said the investigation would help determine steps that could be taken in the future to safeguard residents against future building safety problems.
At the Hickey Law Firm, our compassionate legal team is here to help if you have suffered the tragic loss of a loved one due to the negligence of another person or entity. Our Miami wrongful death lawyers can pursue compensation for funeral and burial expenses, loss of income and support, pain and suffering, and more. Call us at 888-913-4296, text 844-984-1937, or contact us online to arrange a free consultation regarding your individual case.