When you are injured in an accident, you have options for collecting compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and related expenses. One of those options is accepting an insurance settlement. Another is filing a personal injury claim. Which option is most suitable for your needs is dependent on several factors – all of which a qualified and experienced personal injury lawyer can help you assess.
It is almost always in your best interests to speak with an attorney before you accept an insurance settlement. You may have the option of filing suit to seek compensation beyond what you are being offered.
The Most Important Questions to Ask an Injury Lawyer
There are dozens of personal injury lawyers in every city. None of them should charge you to meet with them. If your potential lawyer does not offer free consultations, choose another lawyer.
Your initial consultation is your best opportunity to determine how confident you are in an attorney’s abilities. To asses this, consider questions like:
- How long have you practiced personal injury law in this state?
- When were you first bar approved?
- How many cases like mine have you handled?
- May I see the verdicts or settlements reached in those cases?
Choose a lawyer who is experienced, has practiced personal injury law in your area for a sufficient period of time, and who is able to supply you with testimonials, reviews, endorsements, and examples of cases similar to yours they have won.
Once you have found an experienced and proven attorney, you want to make sure he or she will actually be the one working on your case. Consider questions like:
- How many people from your office will work on my case?
- Who will be the principal attorney that I work with?
You don’t want your case to be passed off to another attorney. You want to be represented by the lawyer you meet with.
Other questions that can be useful during your initial consultation are:
- What is your contingency structure?
- Do you charge interst on contingency fees?
- Will I be responsible for court fees if you don't win my case?
- How long do you anticipate my case will take?
- What happens if you don’t win?
When looking for a lawyer to represent you following serious injury, you want someone honest, attentive, and effective. Call Hickey Law Firm at 305-371-8000 to schedule a cost and obligation-free consultation today.