Between 1998 and 2009 eight people were killed and at least 69 others injured due to defective Goodyear tires. Now, federal investigators are asserting that Goodyear was aware of the defect for up to 20 years but failed to recall them.
Investigators claim the tires’ failure caused crashes that killed eight people and injured 69 others from 1998 through 2009. https://t.co/scI3JEcofQ
— ABC13 Houston (@abc13houston)
June 8, 2022
According to an ABC13.com Goodyear refused to recall the tires, in some cases until March 2022.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration requested that Goodyear issue the recall on February 22, 2022. The company initially refused, but later overturned that decision and decided to cooperate.
In the NHTSA letter, the agency suggests that Goodyear was on notice of the defect as early as 2002.
“The safety-related defect is clear, identified failure that leads to a loss of vehicle control, causing crashes and potentially catastrophic consequences such as death and serious injury,” the agency said in the letter.
The defect can cause the tread to separate from the body of the tire, potentially causing drivers to lose control of the vehicles.
- Ferrari Recalls Over 23,000 Vehicles Due to Dangerous Brake Fluid Defect
- Toyota Recalls 75,000 Vehicles Due to Child Seat Anchor Defect
- Toyota Issues Recall For Defect That Could Cause Wheels To Roll Off
- Nissan to Recall Over 300,000 Vehicles For Defect That Could Cause SUV Hoods To Pop Up
- Toyota Recalls 460,000 Vehicles for Defect That Could Cause Instability
- BMW Recalls Over 900,000 Vehicles in the U.S. Due to Defect That Can Cause Fire
- KIA Recalls Over 70,000 Vehicles Due To Defect That Could Cause Fire
Attorney John H. (Jack) Hickey and his team handle a wide range of cases, including but not limited to cruise ship accidents, admiralty and maritime accident cases, medical malpractice, wrongful death, premises liability, railroad accidents and car accidents. We represent victims from all over the nation, the world and the state of Florida.