SURFSIDE, FL - Crews working at the scene of the condominium collapse in Surfside discovered 10 additional victims overnight, raising the number of confirmed dead to 46.
According to WSVN, authorities notified relatives of the discoveries at a briefing on Wednesday morning. 32 of the 46 have now been identified, while 94 people still remain unaccounted for as the search continues.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Chief Alan Cominsky said the demolition of what remained of Champlain Towers South on Sunday night has helped rescuers reach areas that had previously been inaccessible. He held out hope of finding survivors as crews look for any voids or open spaces where someone could have survived.
"Right now, we're in search and rescue mode," said Miami-Dade County Police Director Freddy Ramirez while adding, "Our primary goal right now is to bring closure to the families." More than 200 first responders from around the country are at the scene to take part in the search.
The conditions caused by Tropical Storm Elsa became a factor in the efforts, with strong winds hindering the use of cranes to move heavy debris.
Officials said the tons of debris removed from the site were being taken to a warehouse where it could become evidence in the investigation into the cause of the collapse.
Families who have lost a loved one due to the legal fault of another person or entity may be eligible to file a wrongful death lawsuit. At the Hickey Law Firm, our Miami wrongful death lawyers can help you and your family pursue financial compensation if you have suffered a tragic loss due to someone's negligence. You can schedule a free consultation to discuss your case by calling 888-913-4296, texting 844-984-1937, or contacting us online.