MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, FL - Prosecutors in Miami-Dade County said they will charge a teenage boy as an adult for a New Year's Day crash that left four people dead, according to WPLG.
This is an update to a previous story.
16-year-old Alex Garcia, who surrendered to state troopers last month, appeared in court Tuesday for a hearing in the case.
The Florida Highway Patrol said the teenager was driving a Chevy Tahoe SUV at over 100 miles an hour when he crashed into a Hyundai Elantra at the intersection of Southwest 79th Avenue and Flagler Street at about 4 a.m.
Four people in the Hyundai all died in the crash: Yuhlia Gelats-Medina, Andres Zacarias and Jender Salazar, all age 21, and 22-year-old Christian Mobil.
The judge in the case said there was probable cause for four counts of vehicular homicide, four counts of DUI manslaughter, and two counts of DUI serious bodily injury. She ordered that Garcia be held without bond.
When a loved one has died due to the carelessness or improper conduct of another, your family may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim and be eligible for a legal settlement. The experienced Miami wrongful death attorneys at the Hickey Law Firm can help your family through this difficult time. Our lawyers have had many years of experience with this type of case and will fight for you in your time of need. If you would like to schedule a free consultation regarding your individual case, call us at 888-913-4296, text 844-984-1937, or reach out to us online.