News: 10 confirmed dead in Surfside condo collapse as search for survivors continues

Boat accident, Jet Ski accident, Maritime and Personal Injury Attorneys Serving Florida

Posted: June 28, 2021

SURFSIDE, FL - The death toll from the Surfside condominium collapse rose to 10 on Monday as rescue teams continued to search in the wreckage for any survivors, reports NBC Miami.

This is an update to a previous story.

More than 150 people remained missing as workers spent a fifth day digging through the rubble of Champlain Towers South, the 12-story residential building that collapsed early Thursday morning.

The search and rescue operation was ongoing and there was still hope that survivors could be found, Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said. "They're out there with every resource that they need to ensure that they can search this area," she said.  Eight of those who died had been identified as of Monday afternoon.

On Sunday crews dug a 40-foot tunnel to gain access to new areas of the collapse, as about 100 family members of those in the building toured the site to see the rescue efforts first-hand.

Meanwhile, officials in Surfside published inspection reports from engineers less than three years ago that warned of "major structural damage" in the building and the potential for "exponential damage."  The reports recommended more than $9 million in repair work.

At the Hickey Law Firm, we understand the emotional and financial difficulties brought about by the untimely death of a loved one. If the tragic loss was caused by another party's negligence, our Miami wrongful death lawyers may be able help you and your family pursue compensation for funeral and burial expenses, loss of income and support, pain and suffering, and more. Call 888-913-4296, text 844-984-1937, or contact us online to schedule a free consultation regarding your case.