Serving Miami, Florida and Nationwide
FIGHTING FOR THE SAFETY OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
Information from Our Miami Injury Attorneys
The Miami injury attorneys at Hickey Law Firm, P.A. have provided the following resources to educate the public and provide information to personal injury victims. To find out if you have a case, contact our Miami and Fort Lauderdale injury attorneys today by calling (855) 375-3727 for a free consultation.
Articles Written by Miami and Fort Lauderdale Injury Attorney John H. (Jack) Hickey
Personal injury and maritime lawyer John H. (Jack) Hickey has written various articles and speeches for publication. The following articles appeared in “The Bulletin,” the official publication of the Dade County Bar Association:
- Kennedy And Civil Rights; Yesterday And Today; November 2003
- The Varela Project and The Rule of Law; The Seventh Word in Cuban History; October 2003
- Atticus Finch, Part II; October 2003
- Observations from Outside the Storm: The Ten Commandments, the Constitution, and Organic Foods; September 2003
- Atticus Finch Lives; August 2003
Here are Some Additional Articles Written by Cruise Ship Injury and Maritime Lawyer John H. (Jack) Hickey
- “ Evolving Standards of Jones Act Negligence“; paper prepared for lecture to be given at Association of Trial Lawyers of America Annual Convention at Atlanta, Georgia (July 2002)
- “ Slip and Falls: Alternative Theories of Liability,” published April 2001 in “Trial Magazine,” the magazine of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA) and presented at the Annual Convention of ATLA, July 2001
- “In Defense of the Stevedore,” P & I International (Winter 1996-1997)
- “Credit Agreements Required in Writing; the New Statute of Frauds in Florida,” The Florida Bar Journal (June 1990)
- Cruise Ship Accidents: What Are the Rights of the Passenger? Download the article here, or read it online at the New York State Bar Association website.
Speeches Written by Personal Injury and Maritime Lawyer John H. (Jack) Hickey
Below is a list of various speeches written by personal injury and maritime lawyer John H. (Jack) Hickey.
- Remarks by John H. (Jack) Hickey at swearing in of attorneys at Third District Court of Appeal, 10/7/03
- “Masters of the Courtroom” presenter, sponsored by the Dade County Trial Lawyers Association in conjunction with the University of Miami School of Law (October 2003)
- Lecturer: “Alternative Theories of Liability in Slip and Fall Cases” at the Association of Trial Lawyers of America Annual Convention, Montreal, Canada (August 2001)
- Lecturer: “Cruising in the 90s; Defense of Cruise Lines, Crew and Passenger Claims” The Florida Bar (1994; and preparation of paper in connection therewith)
- Lecturer: “Defending Flood Insurance Claims” at the National Flood Insurance Conferences at the invitation of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (Columbus, Ohio, 1991; Scottsdale, Arizona, 1992; Orlando, Florida, 1993)
- Lecturer: “Securities Litigation” Florida Institute of CPAs (1990)
- Lecturer: “Securities Litigation” American Institute of CPAs in Blacksburg, Virginia (1990)
- Lecturer: “Securities Litigation” International Association of Financial Planners (1989)
- Lecturer: “The Mechanics of Court” at The Florida Bar Bridge the Gap Seminars (1983, 1984, and 1985)
- Author: “Tour Operator Liability” American Bar Association (2014)
Panel for the Torts and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association in Boca Raton, Florida (2014)
“Cruise Ship Accidents: What are the rights of the passenger” The New York Bar Association’s Senior Lawyer Magazine (2014)
: “Use of Corporate Representative Depositions in Maritime Cases” to be presented at the American Association for Justice annual Convention in Baltimore, Maryland (2014)
- Author and Presenter: “Why the Corporate Representative May be the Most Neglected Key Witness…and how they can Make your Commercial Motor Vehicle Case” presented at the American Association for Justice annual convention in Baltimore, Maryland (July 2014)
- Author and Presenter: “Violent Crime on Cruise Ships” a paper for The National Crime Victims Bar Association Conference in Miami, FL (September 17, 2014)
Helpful Links and Reference Material You Can Use
Need help finding something? Here is a list of useful links to everything from law to news and media.
Business and Finance Links
Cruise Line Information:
Cruise Ship Assault Resources
Cruise Ship Consumer Fact Sheet
- Click here to download the Cruise Ship Consumer Fact Sheet produced by U.S. Coast Guard
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- The Journal of Maritime Law and Commerce
Cruise Ship Fires and Collisions
- Suit Charges NCL Negligent in Collision
- Norwegian Dream Collision – Compilation of News Accounts
- The Sun Vista Catches Fire and Sinks – Web page dedicated to the survivors of the Sun Vista; includes passenger accounts and photographs of the doomed vessel.
Cruise Ship Forum
- About.com’s “Expert Guide to Cruises” – Summary of cruise related links, news, and other information for the cruising public.
- “Maritime Matters” – Ocean Liner History and Cruise Ship News - Informative site featuring ocean liner history, historic vessels, and photographs of passenger vessels.
Environmental Issues Regarding Cruise Ships
- “Scandal at Sea” – Documentary Over the past decade, popular cruise lines have been involved in over 100 confirmed cases of illegal dumping into U.S. and international waters.
General Maritime Information
- Admiralty and Maritime Law Guide – Excellent site containing statutes, case law, law guides, articles and publications and other links to maritime related information.
Injuries, Accidents, and Physical and Sexual Assaults on Cruise Passengers:
- “Carnival? Try Criminal” – An article by Tristram Korten of the Miami New Times: “What happens when a female passenger is assaulted on a cruise ship? Not much.”
- “Deep Blue Greed” – An article by Ted Kissell of the Miami New Times: “The Arison clan built Carnival into a money machine by cleverly avoiding tax laws.”
- “The Perfect Scam” – An article by Kirk Nielsen of the Miami New Times: “For the workers, life is no carnival.”
- Flag-of-Convenience Line Ordered to Report Sex Crimes
- Romero v. Carnival – “Cruise Ship Assault Trial” (text)
Maritime Statutes, Treaties, and Conventions
- Law of the Sea – Contains links regarding the United Nations Convention of the Sea.
Medical Issues on Cruise Ships:
- Consumer Reports: “Ocean Liner’s Medical Care May Not Be Shipshape”
- “The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Cruise Ship Medicine”
- Legionnaires Disease on Cruise Ships
- Medically Speaking – What the Cruise Passenger Should Know
National Transportation Safety Board Publications
- NTSB Marine Accident Reports – NTSB reports regarding collisions, sinkings, groundings, and fires involving passenger ships, freighters, tankers, and other vessels from 1971 to 1997.
- NTSB Marine Studies – NTSB studies regarding watercraft safety, accidents involving foreign passenger ships operating from US ports, post-accident testing for alcohol and drugs, and other issues from 1963 to 1999.
Passengers with Disabilities:
- Does the ADA Govern the Operation of Cruise Ships? – The amicus curiae brief of the US government.
- American Association of Port Authorities
- Port Canaveral
- Port Yellow Pages
- Listing of International Ports
- Seaports of the Americas – the AAPA Directory
Vessel Safety, Illegal Dumping, & Unsanitary Conditions
- United States Coast Guard – Home page of USCG; includes marine safety and environmental protection, boating safety, and licensing.
If you want to find out more about these articles, or if you want to schedule a free consultation with Miami injury attorney Jack Hickey, contact our legal team in Miami, Florida, online or call (855) 375-3727 today.