A 7 year old boy was electrocuted to death in North Miami over the weekend, leaving his family and investigators wondering what went wrong.
The boy was reportedly playing in the family's pool when he was suddenly electrocuted with a shock so strong that it threw him from the pool. Investigators were abel to quickly determine that the cause of death was electrocution. But as yet they have been unable to determine what caused the electrical shock in the pool. Police are focusing on a light socket which appears to have been burned, and are trying to determine if it may have been defective.
The boy's father says that the family noticed several months ago that the light socket in question was not properly illuminating, and called a contractor to fix it. According to the Miami Herald the father's brother was told by electricians that it appears the light had not been properly grounded, meaning that the full 120 volts could have been sent through the pool when the boy was electrocuted.
The city of North Miami requires that all electrical work, such as the work reportedly done on the pool, be done only after the issuance of a permit, and even then are subject to inspection. The Herald reports that a search of city records failed to turn up an indication that a permit was issued for the work, and the required inspection apprears not to have been done either.